Source: Adapted from Opera Girl Cooks
Picture: by Jen Grove
Serves: 2 as main dish ~or~ 4 as side dish
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic with juice
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
5 C. Chicken or Vegetable Stock (you can even use water)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 C. canned black beans
1 package of Chicken Tenders, (optional)
1 avocado, sliced
1 C. nonfat plain yogurt
1/4 C. chopped cilantro
Favorite Tortilla Chips (I used Casa Sanchez Brand)
1. Heat the olive oil and garlic in a medium (3-quart) saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. When the garlic begins to bubble around the edges, add the onion, celery, carrot, paprika, cumin, and salt. Turn heat up to medium and saute for about five minutes, until the onions are softened but not browned.
3. Add the stock, tomatoes, and beans. Bring up to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. If adding chicken: in a separate pan, cut Chicken tenders into bit size chunks. Salt & pepper, and saute in oil until thoroughly cooked. Set aside.
5. Turn off the heat to soup, add chicken and stir.
Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt, avocado, cilantro & crushed Tortilla Chips.